Air Force Academy Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

reido737

Hello, Wonder if someone can answer a question or two for me. My nephew wants to go to the Academy. In his state there were 50 people that were looking for a letter from their congressmen, only 5 were given letters of which he was one of them. What happens now, What is the process from here?? Thanks.

I can tell you the Naval Academy process - I assume USAFA is similar. Each member of Congress plus some others can give up to 10 nominations, less number of nominees currently at the Academy. That's like 5,000 for each academy - but each admits only about 1,500 (with about 1,200 actually showing up). Your nephew has no doubt started the application process. At Navy it includes a physical agility test, a real pain-in-the-neck physical exam, letters of recommendation from at least two current teachers, an interview with a Naval officer who volunteers to assist with Academy recruiting (I did this for ten years), and of course your standard college application. What they really are looking for is leadership experience: team captain, Eagle scout, student body president stuff.

It's a long process, but worth it. The education of a midshipman or cadet costs the taxpayers about $350,000 - best education money can't buy!

Feel free to PM if you found this helpful and have more questions.

I have worked with graduates from all three academies. I do not believe there is a better way to position yourself for future success in any field you elect to pursue. A second route to pursue for your child is the ROTC scholarship program, if competitive for an academy, you are competitive for ROTC, apply for all services and take the one you want if you have choice.

Kinda fits so I will share it. Congratulations on your hopefully upcoming selection to both the Naval and Air Force Academies. Your goal of becoming an officer is impressive and a fine way to serve your country. As you requested, I'd be happy to share some insight into which service would be the best choice. Each service has a distinctly different culture. You need to ask yourself "Which one am I more likely to thrive in?"

USAF Snapshot: The USAF is exceptionally well organized and well run. Their training programs are terrific. All pilots are groomed to meet high standards for knowledge and professionalism. Their aircraft are top-notch and extremely well maintained. Their facilities are excellent. Their enlisted personnel are the brightest and the best trained. The USAF is homogeneous and macro. No matter where you go, you'll know what to expect, what is expected of you, and you'll be given the training & tools you need to meet those expectations. You will never be put in a situation over your head. Over a 20-year career, you will be home for most important family events. Your Mom would want you to be an Air Force pilot...so would your wife. Your Dad would want your sister to marry one.

Navy Snapshot: Aviators are part of the Navy, but so are Black shoes (surface warfare) and bubble heads (submariners). Furthermore, the Navy is split into two distinctly different Fleets (West and East Coast). The Navy is heterogeneous and micro. Your squadron is your home; it may be great, average, or awful. A squadron can go from one extreme to the other before you know it. You will spend months preparing for cruise and months on cruise. The quality of the aircraft varies directly with the availability of parts. Senior Navy enlisted are salt of the earth; you'll be proud if you earn their respect. Junior enlisted vary from terrific to the troubled kid the judge made join the service. You will be given the opportunity to lead these people during your career; you will be humbled and get your hands dirty. The quality of your training will vary and sometimes you will be over your head. You will miss many important family events. There will be long stretches of tedious duty aboard ship. You will fly in very bad weather and/or at night and you will be scared many times. You will fly with legends in the Navy and they will kick your ass until you become a lethal force. Yes, the Naval Aviator is the best trained and most potent weapon in the sky. He thinks independently, and very few are in his club. And some days when the scheduling Gods have smiled upon you - your jet will catapult into a glorious morning over a far-away sea and you will be drop-jawed that someone would pay you to do it. And, the hottest girl in the bar wants to meet the Naval Aviator. That bar is in Singapore .

Bottom line, son, if you gotta ask.....pack warm and good luck in Colorado

Last edited:
Yip has articulated his OPINION about two of our services quite well. The only factual error I will correct is that the Navy will not accept candidates at any level with criminal convictions. During periods of high unemployment (like now) the military becomes incredibly selective - because they can be. I talked to an enlisted Marine recruiter recently. he told me that right now they will not take a kid with more than one speeding ticket! No GED's, no past drug use, no "problem children" need apply. The Navy is even pickier.

My personal experience includes a nephew who went AFROTC. He didn't get into the flight program, and spent four years as an intel officer. He traveled extensively - but never deployed for more than four months. He received excellent training and got a good job after he left the service. My son went to the Naval Academy (one of the smartest decisions he ever made!), selected Marine Corp Aviation and has logged almost 2,000 hours of C-130 time. He will be staying for his 20+ years and taking the pension.

I've been in the Navy Reserve for 20 years, and have seen many good sailors of all ranks. There have been a few turds along the way - but they don't last long in today's Navy. With high year tenure and Perform to Serve, they get sent home. One positive drug test: out. Three physical fitness failures: out. Do your job well, serve your country and your fellow sailors, and you will have a great career.

All of the Academies are a great deal for the right student. I will not bash Air Force (except this year's football team; how did you lose to ARMY?). But four years at Annapolis is a great way to start.

Yip has articulated his OPINION about two of our services quite well. The only factual error I will correct is that the Navy will not accept candidates at any level with criminal convictions. During periods of high unemployment (like now) the military becomes incredibly selective - because they can be. I talked to an enlisted Marine recruiter recently. he told me that right now they will not take a kid with more than one speeding ticket! No GED's, no past drug use, no "problem children" need apply. The Navy is even pickier.

My personal experience includes a nephew who went AFROTC. He didn't get into the flight program, and spent four years as an intel officer. He traveled extensively - but never deployed for more than four months. He received excellent training and got a good job after he left the service. My son went to the Naval Academy (one of the smartest decisions he ever made!), selected Marine Corp Aviation and has logged almost 2,000 hours of C-130 time. He will be staying for his 20+ years and taking the pension.

I've been in the Navy Reserve for 20 years, and have seen many good sailors of all ranks. There have been a few turds along the way - but they don't last long in today's Navy. With high year tenure and Perform to Serve, they get sent home. One positive drug test: out. Three physical fitness failures: out. Do your job well, serve your country and your fellow sailors, and you will have a great career.

All of the Academies are a great deal for the right student. I will not bash Air Force (except this year's football team; how did you lose to ARMY?). But four years at Annapolis is a great way to start.
That is an old post. But I was a Navy Recruiter during the early 70's. We were almost across the street from the City Jail. We would get those kids that were given the choice by the judge, "Join the Service or go to jail" We had to do wavier interviews, some were OK kids who made a mistake like shop lifting cigarettes, I normally recommended a second chance for those kids. Then there were guys I could not imagine having in my Division, but sometimes to make Quota the District would over ride the recommendations. I had to work with some of those troubled kids. To think I might have made a difference a kid's life and he would become a productive member society has to be one of the most rewarding experiences in my career.

Last edited:
That is an old post. But I was a Navy Recruiter during the early 70's. We were almost across the street from the City Jail. We would get those kids that were given the choice by the judge, "Join the Service or go to jail" We had to do wavier interviews, some were OK kids who made a mistake like shop lifting cigarettes, I normally recommended a second chance for those kids. Then there were guys I could not imagine having in my Division, but sometimes to make Quota the District would over ride the recommendations. I had to work with some of those troubled kids. To think I might have made a difference a kid's life and he would become a productive member society has to be one of the most rewarding experiences in my career.

Good point. Today, quota is not an issue for most of the recruiters. It really is a shame that the best kids only consider the military because other options are few. But this recession means we have been getting great recruits for the last five years. That will help keep all the branches of the service strong for the next 20 years +.

Good point. Today, quota is not an issue for most of the recruiters. It really is a shame that the best kids only consider the military because other options are few. But this recession means we have been getting great recruits for the last five years. That will help keep all the branches of the service strong for the next 20 years +.
Only if they can get their stuff together budget wise. The wars are almost over. The Navy last spring instituted this reduction to bring numbers in line with mandated headcount numbers. Now they are short of people and asking some of the people involuntarily separated if they want to come back in. Having lived through the headcount blood letting after the Vietnam War, were RIF's/Fail to promote, busting in ranks were a way of life, you learn that the military is a very fickle employer. After 11 years, I got out in 1977 because I could not get a flying assignment, and found a Reserve Squadron flying P-3's. A year later they are offering me promotion, regular commission back, and Wing of my choice if I will back on active duty. But I had just been hired by TransAmerican Airlines where the DO told us in ground school everyone in this room will be a 747 Captain making $100K/yr in five years.

Last edited:
Air Force ROTC paid my way through the University of Texas (Hook'em!). AFROTC was a great course in its own right, I really benefited from the emphases on learning to speak and write at a profesional level.

The Air Force Academy wasn't for me, but its a great place for folks who can live with such a high degree of micro-management for four years.

The caliber of the many AFA grads I've known is universally very high.

Hello, Wonder if someone can answer a question or two for me. My nephew wants to go to the Academy. In his state there were 50 people that were looking for a letter from their congressmen, only 5 were given letters of which he was one of them. What happens now, What is the process from here?? Thanks.

By "letter" I take it you mean a "nomination". If your nephew received a nomination from a congressman that is a good sign, as the process for that is very competitive, and a nomination is required to have a shot at the "appointment" (Appointment being the goal line).

In addition to applying to his congressman to seek his nomination, he has also applied directly to the Academy. The Academy racks and stacks all the candidates by their demonstrated leadership, academic, and athletic skills. His Academy Liaison and Admissions Counselor should be helping him through the very arduous application process (if he hasn't finished all the requirements then he needs to pronto). The selection boards will continue to rack and stack all the candidates with completed applications. Those above the cut line, and also with nominations, will be offered appointments for entrance into the next cadet class this coming summer. Appointments may be offered from now until the day of entrance.

Best of luck to him!

Talk to his ALO (Admissions Liason Officer) and he/she will be able to help your nephew out. That's their job.
To answer your question, he will have to try for next year if he still wants to pursue the USAFA. The USAFA is only accepting just over 1,000 cadets per year (down from previous years) and the competition is extremely stiff. I've seen plenty of well qualified candidates not get in. I hate to say this but unless you are a minority or a blue chip athlete (stilll need decent grades and SAT/ACT scores), you have to be an extremely stellar and well rounded student, as someone has stated earlier (team captain, class president/officer, excellent GPA/SAT or ACT, community service, outgoing leadership, etc.). Ass kissing skills will come in handy too if you want to make O-6 or better:D.
In the meantime, have him join AFROTC at a university. I believe there isn't a commitment for the first 2 years of ROTC (freshmen and sophomore). If he will be attending a junior college, he can still join AFROTC at a university that offers the program. Back in the day, they were called "cross towners". If he still wants to attend the academy, he can apply and go through the same process.
The military acadamies are absolutely top notch. The education is on par with any top notch/Ivy league school and it's all on Uncle Sam(about $450,000). Not only will he get one heck of an education, he will receive invaluable training and experience like no other. Having said this, your nephew REALLY needs to want to go there baaaaad. It's definitely not for everyone. I suggest that everyone looking at the academies do a thorough and honest evaluation of themselves.
ROTC is a good compromise for someone who wants to be an officer but also wants to experience the "college life". There are different scholarships out there, though still pretty competetive.
Whatever he decides, I wish him success!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back