• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

duty times

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The problem with the current interpretation is the full exploitation of it. We've all been there, so I won't bore you with details. But after having a 13:45 scheduled duty day (including 3 international legs out of 4) creep to almost 16hrs and require an ASAP report. I now "just say no". And I dare my company to try and discipline me for my refusing to exceed 14 hours of duty.

Well, if you are an operator in OH22 or AWM, it never hurts to have a couple of Feds and the FSDO Mgr on your payroll. Years of blowing 14 Duty been reported but never fined, sanctioned or otherwise violated.

100-1/2

Interesting. I used to work at the operator you must be referring to in AWM (there's only 1, so...). We dealt with your vigilant reporting on a regular basis, captain, and were found to be legal every single time. There are no violations of the 14hr duty day there. I'm not sure if you guys are confused by the fact that each airplane has a plane id that it flies under, not the captains number as many operators use. We always figured you guys were stupid and were assuming it was the same pilot just because the flight id was the same- we regularly did crew swaps but the plane would depart under the same id for a variety of reasons. You are annoying, by the way.

For arguments sake, I also happen to think that a 91 tail end ferry also must be included in duty time if it is required by the company. Flight time you may get a pass, but it is still company required duty in most cases and goes towards the 14 hours.

It isn't a 91 flight if it is required by the company. You may be able to operate under 91 flight rules, but for duty purposes it is a 135 flight and cannot be required if it will cause the pilot to exceed 14hrs duty. So what you are saying is correct in spirit, but the "91 ferry home" was intended as a way to let the pilots get home after a long trip *solely at their discretion*. Obviously this rule has been twisted and contorted to the point of meaninglessness over the years, as have most regs dealing with 135 on demand stuff, but that is how it is supposed to work.

Last edited:
Woog315,

So, then, this just might have been you???

MDS427
10-Oct-07 SW3/G Tullahoma Rgnl (KTHA) West Memphis (KAWM) 10:55PM CDT 11:50PM CDT 0:55
10-Oct-07 SW3/G Laredo Intl (KLRD) Tullahoma Rgnl Arpt (KTHA) 07:02PM CDT 10:11PM CDT 3:09
10-Oct-07 SW3/G El Paso Intl (KELP) Licenciado (MMTO) 08:38AM MDT result unknown (?) n/a

0930 CT First Departure. 2350 Final Arrival (2350-0930 not including 'Show Time+Post flight') = 14:20+ duty on 9.5hrs of planned flight time?

This was never as bad as when I saw one of you guys dropping a load in YIP from MFE (non-stop @ ~5:30 FT) and then saw the same guy dropping another load in LRD (non-stop @ ~5:00 FT) about 3 hours after my arrival. Could have cared less about your operation before witnessing that amazing feat that i am sure turned out nice and legal in the logs. No Co-pilot by the way.

And yes I am annoying, why don't you assist in recovering remains of any tragically avoidable loss of life sometime for perspective and then check your remarks?

100-1/2

Some of you guys are pretty funny...and kind of dumb. How can anyone tell you that you cannot WORK more than 14 hours of duty time....? THEY CAN'T.

Theres many reasons that 100% allow you to WORK longer than 14 hours in a duty period.

what are you supposed to do if the clock hits 14 hours and you are holding for bad weather.......jump out of the damn plane at 13:59 and hope to hit the ground at the 14 hour mark......LOL

I have personally sat on the taxiway in Anchorage for 7 hours AFTER we landed from a 12 hour flight..........WE WENT PAST DUTY TIME BY A LONG AZZ WAY........there was no parking space because there were planes backed up to #20 for de-icing........If I remember we shut all 4 engines down and sat on APU power for most of the 7 hours.

JEEZZZZZZZZ.....

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back