New Controller Facility Placement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JonnyKnoxville

How does the FAA place new controllers? I have been told you can request from 1 to 5 states and then they choose where you will be based depending on current vacancies.

Someone else told me all new controllers go to centers because that is where they have the resources to train the newbies.

Is this information correct?

Centers, TRACONs, and Towers. They are all hurting and you can end up anywhere they need you.

Example...Orlando Tower/TRACON is supposed to have 75 controllers....they have about 54...and will lose a bunch more shortly. They've gotten some CTI students. Can take 2+ years to get certified....so, they are in for a world of hurt over there. Way to go FAA, staffing is totally under control!

hate to sound bleak....but with the FAA's current management policy of keeping facilities understaffed and B-scale pay + ATCs retiring in large amounts this is a recipe for disaster. Hence, do not work for the FAA.

hate to sound bleak....but with the FAA's current management policy of keeping facilities understaffed and B-scale pay + ATCs retiring in large amounts this is a recipe for disaster. Hence, do not work for the FAA.
Yep, an airline career is a much better route.

The only time ATC pay was "really high" was from about 98-03...its still a pretty damn good job.

Its a virtually guaranteed job, with great job security, a very good pension, and good pay.

You get a level 12 out of training and you are set...

It could go either way. I know someone who got hired into an airport in Idaho making just below six-figures. Another was hired into a center and is making training pay (around 38k).

The "B" scale is $31,800 plus cost of living % until you are certified.

The only salary above $100,000 is the maximum Level 12 at $104,000, before cost of living and overtime. Level 11 is $95,000 I think.

So basically...if you get into a Level 11 or 12 facility you are in good shape....if you end up in a Level 5 Tower...meh....

Latest resources

Back