Prescription Sunglasses

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JoeMuch

I am entering the world of requiring Tri-focals for my medical. I am using the progressive lens.

I am interested to see if anyone has recommendations of a good pair of prescription sunglasses that you use.

I fly the Airbus and Coscto told me the polarized coating they use does not work for pilots.

Thanks

You may have to go to an eye place that carries some higher end stuff rather than Costco, but they are available. I've been wearing prescription Serengeti sunglasses with a "Sedona" (rose-tinted) lens for several years and they are great, with excellent contrast for differentiating clouds through haze. They're ground/coated glass and pretty heavy though, and might be even heavier for you depending on your tri-focal prescription and how bad your vision otherwise is (i.e. thicker lenses).

They were damn expensive ($600-700?), but at the time I had really good eye care and they were mostly paid for by the plan. Even if you don't have a good vision plan, you could still pay for them using your FSA, if you have one. Good luck.

http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/technology/lens/rx-program.aspx

Last edited:
Polarized sun glasses will not work with glass electric windshields. They will work with Citation 500/525 type windshields that use bleed air heat.
With glass type windshields you can use sunglasses that are not polarized.

Polycarbonate lenses can be made as progressives and have the "transitions" coating applied. They're light as a feather, nearly bullet proof, and darken / lighten fairly quickly.

I've been using them for many years with excellent results.

I am entering the world of requiring Tri-focals for my medical. I am using the progressive lens.

I am interested to see if anyone has recommendations of a good pair of prescription sunglasses that you use.

I fly the Airbus and Coscto told me the polarized coating they use does not work for pilots.

Thanks

I had no luck with progressives (bi-focals). Hated them in fact. You sacrifice your peripheral vision to use them. At least that how it was for me.

Anything polarized on the airbus you can see out the window but with dark spots all over the windshield. The numbers also disappear on the RMP.

I just use a pair for distance and a pair of cheaters to read small print.

Latest resources

Back