Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Swass

So long, America.....
I thought long and hard about becoming an Atc when I was in my early twenties, things worked out a little differently than I had expected but I sometimes wish I had. Something about airport op's I dig.

Atc

The best move I ever made. I have 5 years til I retire and have two type ratings. Get to fly when I want stable job with good retirement.

I did the whole CTI thing, but the pay now isn't what it used to be in the ATC biz. Now I'm at a regional and love flying, but hate the paychecks. In the end though, it's all about doing what you really love. Better paydays will come later...I hope

I did the whole CTI thing, but the pay now isn't what it used to be in the ATC biz. Now I'm at a regional and love flying, but hate the paychecks. In the end though, it's all about doing what you really love. Better paydays will come later...I hope

I might be able to deal with the pay, but it's the draconian work rules that would get to me. I don't think I'd do well in that kind of environment. I CFI at a school with management that stays out of my way, and I couldn't be happier. Well, I could be happier if they paid me more. The paychecks are a real bummer, but at least in a few years I can make more than what an ARTCC CPC would make at the end of his/her career at the present pay scale.

so I have a letter saying that I have passed the AT-SAT that I've been sitting on for a month or two, anyone have any words of advice....... I really can't see myself doing the ATC gig. I just did it for a backup. I think I will just keep the letter so they don't give me an offer, b/c if they did send me an offer and I declineed it that would be the end of my chances doing the ATC thing.

I don't know. Is it a one shot deal? If you decline, can you get go back in a few years and apply for a job again?

Not that bad

I might be able to deal with the pay, but it's the draconian work rules that would get to me. I don't think I'd do well in that kind of environment. I CFI at a school with management that stays out of my way, and I couldn't be happier. Well, I could be happier if they paid me more. The paychecks are a real bummer, but at least in a few years I can make more than what an ARTCC CPC would make at the end of his/her career at the present pay scale.

What draconian work rules are you taking about? We had it so good for so long is the problem. We can't wear flip flops to work anymore, big deal. Now we wear slacks and polo shirts. It is waht you make of it. Pay is not as good as it used to be, but you are home every night and you could be wearing a monkey suit.

What draconian work rules are you taking about? We had it so good for so long is the problem. We can't wear flip flops to work anymore, big deal. Now we wear slacks and polo shirts. It is waht you make of it. Pay is not as good as it used to be, but you are home every night and you could be wearing a monkey suit.

Not too worried about the uniforms. I'm more concerned about reports of devs getting canned for offering to work a holiday, CPCs at N90 getting canned for not reporting medication on their medical forms (even though the FAA knew about it from their sick leave), controllers not being able to leave the facility for lunch, etc. etc. I hear that stuff and I'd rather just keep flying.

Latest resources

Back